Monday, February 15, 2010

Christmas in February!


I went to the post office on Saturday and received quite the surprise! My dear friend Pat sent me a copy of Barbara Kingsolver’s new book, The Lacuna. I was so delightfully surprised, I squealed!
The last time I bought a new book, that I can remember, was in the 90s! I usually try to get new titles from the library, buy them used, or at least wait for the title to come out in paperback!! (Because they’re so expensive!!)

A new title from my favorite author, Kentucky’s own Barbara Kingsolver! What a treat! And the novel showcases two of my favorite historical figures: Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera! I’m a lucky, lucky girl!!

I came home on Saturday and tried to put it away (I had papers to grade) but it kept calling to me! Finally, last night, I couldn’t stand it any longer and stayed up way too late reading this delicious novel! Thank you Pat!

She also sent along copies of another favorite: the Sun Magazine. Back home, when these arrive in the mail, I read them from cover to cover. These too, are delicious treats!

I had been in a reading “slump,” and nothing here was grabbing my interest. It feels good to be excited about reading again!
And, another few bars of my always-needed: Dr. Bronner’s soap! I covet these…

Also included was a featured article on Ms. Kingsolver in Bellarmine College’s publication and a poem that I’ll tell you more about after having had some time with it.



For now, I’m off to read! I’m so excited! Thanks Pat!

No comments:

Post a Comment